What is an International Driving Permit?
An International Driving Permit (IDP) translates your government-issued driver’s license into 10 languages: English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, German, Arabic, Italian, Swedish and Portuguese*.
What countries require an IDP?
U.S. driver's licenses are valid in both Canada and Mexico, but many other countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses. Check with the embassy of the country you plan to visit or live in to find specific driver's license requirements.
Is an International Driving Permit the same thing as an International Driving License?
Where do I get an IDP?
How do I get an IDP?
What do I need to apply for an IDP?
When applying for an IDP, you need to have:
- A valid U.S. driver's license
- $20 permit fee
- 2 original passport-type photos
- The International Driver's Permit Application
What are the requirements for an IDP?
You must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license issued by a U.S. state or territory.
How long does it take to get an IDP?
It will take 5-10 minutes to fill out the application, and you can expect to receive your IDP in approximately two weeks.
How long does an IDP last?
An IDP is valid for a period of one year from the date of issuance. You must apply for a new IDP each year.
How much does an IDP cost?
The fee for an IDP is $20.00 USD.
- You must carry both your IDP and your driver’s license when driving abroad.
- You must obtain your IDP in the same country that issued your driver’s license.
- You can never use your IDP to drive in the country in which it was issued.