Iceland Car Rental
Iceland Car Rental Guide
A rental car is the perfect way to see all of Iceland's one-of-a-kind destinations and offers visitors the flexibility of traveling at their own pace. Some popular destinations include:
Keflavik – located approximately 45 minutes from Reykjavik and known for adventure. Here you'll find the Golden Circle and Iceland’s Ring Road.
Reykjavik – an ideal car rental location for visitors looking to spend some time in Reykjavik but who also want to explore the sights outside of the city, including one of the may hot springs around the area or sightseeing at Rejkjavik Skarfabakki Harbour.
Iceland Car Rental FAQs
What is the minimum age to rent a car in Iceland?
To rent a vehicle in Iceland, the minimum age is 20. There may be some vehicle class restrictions for drivers under 25. To learn more, start a reservation above.
What do I need to rent a car in Iceland?
To rent a car in Iceland, you'll need:
- Driver's license (including a U.S or Latin-character license)
- Valid ID (Driver’s license or passport can be used; for non-EU visitors, an International Driver Permit is required if your license is not written in English.)
- International credit card
Do I need to purchase insurance or protection products with my rental?
When renting a car in Iceland, we provide protection products included in the cost of your car rental, including:
- Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) - mandatory in Iceland and is included in the rate. PAI compensates the rental driver in cases of bodily injury resulting from a traffic accident when operating the rental vehicle.
- Supplementary Liability Protection (SLP) - General Third Party Liability insurance is mandatory and included with all rental rates. Liability insurance covers third party property damage and bodily injury caused by the insured. Sum insured in each and every loss and aggregate for the year 2018 is ISK 285,000,000.
- Theft Protection 1 (TP) - Theft Protection covers damages caused by vehicle theft or attempted vehicle theft and vandalism. Coverage provided by Theft Protection is conditional on the police being informed of instances of theft, attempted theft, or vandalism of the rental vehicle, the rental vehicle being locked with windows rolled up and the keys of the rental vehicle being kept in a reasonably safe location. Theft Protection does not cover damage caused by theft or attempted theft to individual parts of the vehicle.
- Roadside Assistance - There is no fee for roadside assistance. Enterprise provides 24/7 roadside assistance simply by calling +354 519 9300.
You have the option to purchase additional protection products to reduce the excess further to give you peace of mind.
Top Driving Tips in Iceland
When driving in Iceland, there a few key things to remember:
- Just like in the US, traffic travels on the right hand side of the road in Iceland.
- Many vehicles in Iceland are manual. When renting a car, be sure to select a rental car with the transmission type you are most comfortable driving.
- Icelandic law requires that vehicle headlights be on at all times, day and night, when driving.