Has it been a while since you last rented a car? Have an upcoming trip? Our car rental guide will walk you through the steps of renting a vehicle, plus provide tips on how to save time and money along the way. With over 8,000 worldwide locations, excellent customer service, and great rates, Enterprise is here to help you with all your transportation needs.
What you need to rent a car from Enterprise:
• Present a valid driver’s license, and in addition, an IDP and/or passport for international renters may be required
• Meet the minimum age requirement in the area
• Provide a credit card or debit card
See full details on driver's license requirements in the US and Canada.
When it comes to choosing a car type for your trip, think about:
• Parking – Be sure to consider the size of your rental vehicle based on the area you're traveling to.
• Fuel economy – Renting a fuel-efficient vehicle can save money over the length of your trip, especially if you’re doing mostly city driving.
• Road conditions – If you’re going somewhere with snowy weather, an SUV may be your best bet.
The daily rate of renting a car will vary depending on the following:
• Car class
• Length of rental
• Protection products and insurance you select (optional)
• Driver's age (if under 25)
• Number of additional drivers
• Additional products such as car seats, GPS, etc.
• Pre-pay fuel (optional)
• Type of branch - airport vs. neighborhood
• Refundable deposit collected at time of rental
For the most accurate pricing, we recommend starting a reservation.
Going on a weekend trip? Enterprise offers great everyday low rates. Be sure to view our current car rental specials before you rent!
If you rent cars often, whether it’s for business or leisure travel, consider enrolling in Enterprise Plus. This loyalty program lets you earn one point for every qualifying rental dollar spent at participating Enterprise locations worldwide. Points can then be redeemed for free rental days*. Other program benefits include:
• Points that never expire as long as you have at least one qualifying rental during every 3-year period
• No blackout dates
• Enjoy members-only check-in at participating locations
• Access to a dedicated phone number for expedited service
• Receive global recognition, plus earn points and elite status worldwide
*Free rental day covers base rate (Time and Mileage) only.
For more information on the program and the various reward tiers available, visit our Enterprise Plus page.
Want to make your car rental experience even easier? Download the Enterprise Rent-A-Car app. Here you can view or modify your reservation, get directions to a rental branch, call roadside assistance, and more. The app also allows you to stay signed into your Enterprise Plus account for faster reservations.
There are several benefits to renting a car over driving your own vehicle:
• You won’t be putting additional miles on your car, reducing wear and tear on your vehicle.
• You can choose the perfect vehicle size for your trip. You may want to drive a smaller or larger vehicle than your own.
• A rental vehicle may get better gas mileage than your car, reducing fuel expenses.
• If your car is older or less reliable, renting a car will provide peace of mind during your drive.
Ride sharing is increasing in popularity. While it may seem like an easy way to get around, there are some things to consider:
• Ride sharing vehicles may not be readily available in outlying areas.
• The round-trip cost to and from each destination can add up.
• Prices for ride hailing services tend to increase at night and on weekends.
• Waiting for a ride share car can be inconvenient.
Whether you are driving from point A to point B or making multipe stops, a rental car allows you to get around at your own pace on your own schedule.
Even if you’re cautious while driving your rental car, mistakes can happen. Below we’ve outlined what you should do in unexpected situations.
• If you get into an accident
1. Get to a safe spot to stop.
2. Call local police and file a police report.
3. Call the Enterprise branch you rented from and provide information on the accident and collision damage. If the branch is not open at the time, call roadside assistance at 1-800-307-6666, which is available 24/7.
• If you get a flat tire, call roadside assistance at 1-800-307-6666. The cost of changing a tire is covered if you purchased Roadside Assistance Protection.
• If you scratch or dent the rental car
1. Inform Enterprise staff of the damage caused to the vehicle when you return the car.
2. You may or may not have to pay for repairs, depending on your personal auto insurance and whether or not you selected any Enterprise Protection Products.
• Protection Products and Rental Car Insurance
- Enterprise offers several protection products, including Personal Accident Insurance, Damage Waiver, Roadside Assistance, and more. You have the option to purchase these products when you reserve the car to protect you and the vehicle in the case of an accident, theft, etc.
• Extending the Length of Your Car Rental
- If you have already picked up your vehicle, please contact the branch that you rented your car from.
- If you have not yet picked up your vehicle, visit our modifications page.
• Car Rental Cancellation
- To cancel your car rental, visit our modifications page and input your confirmation number. Fees may be incurred for cancelling international car rental reservations. See our full policy on changing or cancelling a car rental.
• Toll Roads
- You have the option to sign up for our TollPass program, which allows you to pay tolls electronically, saving you time.
• Pet Policy
- Enterprise does allow pets in vehicles. For more details, see our full pet policy.
• Car Seats
- Enterprise offers child seats at most airport locations and select neighborhood branches, so you won’t have to bring one on your flight or lug it through the airport. Car seats can be reserved as part of the online booking process.
For a complete list of policies, visit our car rental FAQs page.