Car Rental in Ireland
Ireland Car Rental Guide
Why Rent a Car in Ireland?
Ireland (also known as the Republic of Ireland) is famous for its traditional Irish pubs, the country has lots to offer the discerning traveler, from wealth and depth of Gaelic history & culture to a beautiful countryside. Renting a car in Ireland allows you to explore different sides of this country at your own pace.
Some of the top destinations and attractions in Ireland include:
Dublin – a lively, historic city surrounded by outstanding natural beauty. Within minutes from the city, you could set off to the gothic-styled Dublin Castle, Kilmainham Gaol or enjoy beer tasting at the world-famous Guinness Storehouse.
Donegal – home to the restored Donegal Castle. From here, you can start the “Wild Atlantic Way” scenic drive and stop in the Céide Fields, which is home to Stone Age structures and tombs.
Cliffs of Moher – one of the iconic sights for its outstanding natural beauty and heaven for wildlife. The attraction is just few-hour out of Dublin.
Ring of Kerry – filled with rugged coastal landscapes and traditional villages, the scenic drive around the Iveragh Peninsula in Southwestern Ireland won’t disappoint you.
Airport and Neighborhood Car Rental Locations Throughout Ireland
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has 6 locations in both international and domestic airport terminals across Ireland. There are also over 20+ neighborhood locations for visitors looking to explore cities, country sides, and the coasts of Ireland.
Ireland Car Rental FAQs
What is the minimum age to rent a car in Ireland?
To rent a vehicle Ireland, the minimum age is 25; however, vehicle class restrictions may apply. To learn more, start a reservation above.
What do I need to rent a car in Ireland?
To rent a car in Ireland, you'll need:
- Valid Driver’s License (for non-EU visitors, an International Driving Permit is required if the license is not written in English).
- Valid ID (Driver’s license or passport can be used.)
- Credit or debit card
- International travelers must also show passport, proof of return travel & residency information
Do I need to purchase insurance or protection products with my rental?
Protection products covering physical damage to your rental vehicle can be selected when reserving your vehicle online or when picking up your vehicle at the branch. Liability insurance is included with your rental vehicle.
Can I rent a car one-way in Ireland?
Yes, Enterprise customers in Ireland may rent a car and return it at different domestic location; however, cross-border rental from Ireland to another country is not available. For additional information, please start a reservation above.
Top Driving Tips in Ireland
When driving in Ireland, there a few key things to remember:
- In emergencies, dial 112 or 999 to contact the police, ambulance or fire services.
- Ireland drives on the left, like the rest of the British Isles.
- Some roads in Ireland have tolls, most which do not take cards, so make sure you have some spare Euros to pay with.
- Dublin’s M50 orbital motorway is a great way to avoid the busy city roads, although during peak hours allow extra time due to possible traffic.
- Rural coastal roads and some in-land roads can get very tight and often have stone walls on each side, so be wary of oncoming traffic on tight turns where visibility is obstructed.
- The use of a GPS map or a mobile app that warns you of speed cameras is illegal in Ireland.